Be Careful What You Wish For...

After a wonderful weekend of camping out in the middle of nowhere, yesterday was our first day at home with Dad.  Years of me saying to Mark, "I wish you weren't gone so much" and "Are you home at all this week?" suddenly came to a screeching halt.  While I was tackling the camping laundry, Mark was pacing a bit.  Yes, pacing.  In his office to check his email, back into the kitchen, in his office, back in the kitchen.  (I really am trying to fight the urge to say MY kitchen right now - you women know what I mean by that)  The kids are napping, I am doing my thing, and I am watching my dear husband pace, not quite sure what to do with himself.  It is painful.

Since we got married, Mark has always traveled A LOT.  And he has never gone more than a week without his cell phone and laptop within arms reach - just in case.   His work has been his identity in many ways.  It has provided purpose, meaning, and direction to his days, and he is brilliant at what he does.  So when all that stops and the crazy schedule is suddenly cleared, it can drive a man a bit insane.  The very thing I've hoped and prayed for all these years is happening.   I am still in shock, really, that he made the leap.  But I realize that I've been dreaming so much about the day he slows down, that I didn't really stop to think "What happens the day after?"

There we were - in MY kitchen.  I was getting the fixins ready for the burgers, he was cooking them, and the kids were helping split apart the lettuce leaves.  One big happy family sitting down for dinner together.  It was wonderful... seriously like something out of the sixties ads.  Sure, Mark was off in his own world  (obviously thinking about the email he'd just sent out to hundreds of people announcing his new contact info), but he was there physically - I'll take what I can get for now.


But soon, the day after began.  He was helping clean up dinner and I hear this huge banging noise.  "Why do you put these lids in here?  They don't fit in this drawer with the pots and pans!  You have to put them in their own drawer!"  Take a deep breath, Sarah.  "I didn't do that, honey.  I know they don't fit there."  "Ugh, well someone did."  So glad you're home, dear.  :)  A few minutes later... "How do you get these cups to fit in this cabinet?  This is driving me crazy.  Here, you need to do this - I can't get all this to fit in here.  How do you get all this to fit?"  "Okay, honey, just leave them on the counter.  I'll take care of it."  *sigh*

And there you have it.  That's what happens the day after.  My world becomes his new purpose.  Our household has a new CEO.  I have visions of coming home to new, efficiently organized cabinets any day.  Don't get me wrong... I am really glad he's home, and I know things will settle down to a new normal, but...

Be careful what you wish for!

To be continued... next week is our roadtrip from Denver to Michigan to Tennessee and back in 2 weeks.  Buckle up, kids, it's going to be a wild ride!!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ulithi Atoll, Federated States of Micronesia (FSM)

Skinny Dipping

Off the Beaten Path - Cruising Sumatra's West Coast!