So why post about Facebook on our blog? This is supposed to be about sailing and traveling right? Yep. Exactly.
I credit/blame Neil (Antares 4436) for my recent plunge. Over the past 3 weeks I've warmed up to Facebook - and have enjoyed getting connected to people I've not seen or heard from in a very long time.
In addition to getting connected with friends, I've found this to be a very good tool for keeping our sailing friends and blog followers up to date on our progress - on a regular basis. Instead of waiting for the next blog entry - which can take days or weeks to post - we'll be supplementing the blog with Facebook to provide the following:
- Daily position updates via Spot Connect during passages
- Quick picture posts of sailing and travel
- Forum for better two-way communication/interaction with blog followers
From a sailing perspective, there were three appealing items about Facebook for quick updates:
- Facebook isn't quite as annoying as Twitter
- Spot Connect seamlessly integrates with Facebook, and allows for posting of text messages to my 'wall' anywhere in the world - no internet connection or cell service required
- SailMail over either pactor modem or satellite can easily post messages and updates on a regular basis from Field Trip anywhere in the world
So, if you'd like to follow us in more detail, click on the Facebook badge at the right, and send a friend request. We're a week away from Field Trip hitting the water! Lots more updates coming soon!